Tuesday, November 2, 2010

inspiration: BE BOLD WITH PATTERNS

by Gina Holz


In a desperate need for some R and R, a friend and I checked into the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. As I entered the lobby I was welcomed by one of my favorite trends, pattern on pattern. There is a harmony within the design and the colors. While mixing patterns can be tricky they can provide a bold statement without making you dizzy. Using different size patterns and combining light backgrounds with dark ones provides a lively setting. Anchoring the space is a hearty, rich wood table that allows your eyes to experience the details. A few of the colors within the pattern are picked up using accessories and plants. Have fun with this look and let the colors pop!


You can also mix patterns within your wardrobe.  I love the new Otis and Maclain arrivals at Badjoan.com because there are so many bold and exciting prints.  I put together a couple of pattern on pattern looks applying the same rules as I would use in interior design; use different size patterns and combine light backgrounds with dark ones while letting the accessories pick up the colors within the print.


For the first look I started with the Mini Boy Tank which has a light and simple print and then layered the Button Down Shirt over it.  The Western print of the button down shirt really pops against the muted print of the tank.  For a finishing touch I added in the Vintage Cross Necklace by Avery Jasper which has a red stone that ever so slightly picks up the red in the shirt.


For the second look I started with the same Boy Tank but this time layered the Mae Top over it.  A short sleeve adds texture but also makes it easy to throw on a jacket over the whole look.  To polish off the look I added in the Chunky Rhinestone Choker by Rich in Friendship.  The rhinestones pick up the grey/white tones in both shirts and also add an element of fun!

No comments: