Thursday, December 9, 2010

From editorial to real life

by Brooke Wilen

Editorial photos can be so beautiful but the items featured are often unobtainable for the Average Joan.  I was reading through the December issue of Elle Magazine admiring some of the editorial spreads and trying to figure out how I can interpret the ideas into my real life.  I came up with a few fun ideas that are easy to wear and affordable so I scanned some of the images from the magazine and took a few new ones of my own to share with you...

PATTERN ON PATTERN:


I love the idea of combining bold patterns together but it can be tricky to pull this look off.  The model in this magazine shot looks so great that she makes me want to wear my pajama shorts out in public!  But since that's not going to happen I came up with a couple of pattern on pattern alternatives that I really would wear out...


Layering long sleeves under a loose tank is a great way to make a spring/summer item work all year round.  I like these two prints together because the grey top adds some texture but is dark enough to stay in the background and let the floral print really stand out. 


This outfit is about patterns as well as layers.  Adding a vest over a dress gives some depth to the outfit.  Layering a silver and a gold necklace together is an unexpected choice but it works because it reflects the colors of the dress.

LADYLIKE

 

Floral prints and broaches hold a certain amount glamour and sophistication for me; elegant and definitely "ladylike."  I took this feminine and polished style and gave it a little edge with darker colors, sheer under solid and a feather clip instead of a traditional pin...



ABSTRACT


Abstract prints and bold colors are a fun throw back to the 80's.  I like the use of primary colors; they are bold but neutral and safe at the same time.  


LAYERED JEWELRY


I personally think that a girl can never have too much jewelry so when I saw this image of so many fabulous pieces of jewelry all worn together I got very excited!  I love the idea of layering jewelry but I usually stick to more lightweight pieces.  However, I absolutely love the freedom that this image gave me to mix and match chunky statement pieces.  Of course, if you're going to go wild in one aspect of your outfit it's always a good idea to figure out how to maintain an overall balance.  Let the jewelry stand out by wearing a simple outfit as a backdrop...



Do you have a fashion tip or question?  I'd love to hear from you!  Email me at brooke@badjoan.com

Happy shopping!
Brooke (aka Bad Joan)

No comments: